Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A New Project...Barn Quilts!!!!

These are a couple of my newest projects...Barn Quilts!!
Now I know, this is a shed, not a barn, but it's the closest thing we have on our little acreage!
(My 17 year old Cocker, Chipper is checking out the cucumbers!)

If you GOOGLE Barn Quilts, you'll find they're all over the USA.
There are even designated Quilt Trails in some states that will take you on a guided tour of the Barn Quilts in that state.
Please excuse my pitiful garden!  So far the only thing growing are cucumbers, tomatoes, & flowers!
Evertything else has been 'nibbled' on by bunnies!
What so you think of the iron bed head board? 
I found it in my one of favorite area antique malls, Georgia North Antique Mall in Adairsville, GA.
This photo is the Barn Quilt on my brother's barn in Iowa, isn't it lovely?
My SIL is really talented so I'm sure she painted it!
The 2 on my barn (shed) measure 3' x 3'.  
Many of the Barn Quilts, on real barns, measure up to 8' x 8'.
There is also a blog about these beauties with gorgeous photos.  It's written by Suzi Parron & called Barn Quilts & the American Quilt Trail.
Check it out & read about the history!

Right now I'm painting two new Barn Quilts in a 2' x 2' size.
These would be perfect for a barn (shed) door or a porch!
I'll share when I've finished them.
I'm going to put one in my space at the Antique Mall & see if it sells!

Painting Barn Quilts is VERY time consuming but so much fun!!!

All you have to do is find a favorite quilt pattern, draw it on wood, & paint it.
I prep my wood with several coats of primer & paint with Behr exterior paint, then seal each side with a clear sealer to protect from UV rays & the weather.

Let me know what you think of my newest project!!

♥'s
Sherry

Join me at these fun parties!!

Transformation Thursday 
the 36th Avenue Party Time 
Time Travel Thursday 
Crafty Soiree 
Thursdays Are Your Days
Share Your Cup
Whatever You Want Wednesday
Best DIY Projects of May 
Inspiration Friday 
Find a Friend Friday 
Show & Tell Friday 
Catch As Catch Can 
Farmgirl Friday 
Saturday Night Special 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday 
Weekend Wrap Up Party 




30 comments:

  1. Sherry, I love them, especially the yellow one. hugs, olive

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I have never heard of barn quilts until now.....I love them!! Hope you have a wonderful day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry,

    I love your barn quilts! It's go wonderful to know that more folks here in Georgia are getting involved!

    Thanks for mentioning my blog. I am proud to say that my book has been published! More about barn quilts, including a map of all of the quilt trails, can be found at www.barnquiltinfo.com

    All the best in your barn quilting and other endeavors--Suzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzi!
      Your blog has given me so much information on barn quilts and their history!

      Delete
  4. I put two barn quilts on my house today! Aren't they fun? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they are F.U.N.!!!
      I'd love to see photos of the ones you have!

      Delete
  5. I love the barn quilts. I've thought of putting one one my deck since I don't have a barn. Nice to find another Georgia blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia!
      I think a a quilt square would look great on your deck!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the lesson in barn quilts! I had no idea they were so prevalent and popular. And your barn (okay, shed) quilts are just gorgeous!

    ... so happy you shared with us at our Great Outdoors link party!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found you on Find a Friend Friday. What a great idea with the barn quilts. I found a site where I can pick up metal ones. I may put one on the side of my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always LOVED quilts but don't have the patience to sew one myself...that's why I paint!!

      Delete
  8. Your barn quilts are great. We have them in Morgan County, Colorado. Lots of them! I have a link on my blog, if you are interested.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn!
      I checked out that site & saw some beautiful barn quilts!

      Delete
  9. Love your barn quilts! At first glance I thought they were real quilts. I do alot of quilting and thought, oh, the sun will fade them. lol! You sure fooled me. I think it is a fab idea and I wish I had a barn to make one for. Planning on building a potting shed next year. I can see a shed quilt for sure! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup. I am now following you.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the following Jann!
      A potting shed with a quilt on it would be so much fun!
      i love looking out my kitchen window & seeing the colors!

      Delete
  10. We saw a bunch of barn quilts in the midwest last fall. Yours are great! Thank you so much for linking up to our party!
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Midwest (which is where I'm from originally) has some WONDERFUL barn quilts!
      I love to see them scattered across the countryside!

      Delete
  11. Love the Barn Quilts, I have seen them and well loving old Barns and quilting myself, they go together! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need a barn quilt - on my garage! I can't believe I've never heard of these before - thanks for sharing at our Outdoors party.

    Love your garden bed too!

    Pinning.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just the best??
      I just finished another for my shed door.
      I'll post about it soon!!

      Delete
  13. I've got to convince my hubby I want to hang one on the side of our garage and one for our porch. Just found your blog via Sew Many Ways Find a Friend Friday. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla!
      I'm in the process of painting boards so I can make some more barn quilts!

      Delete
  14. Hi Sherry, I just wanted to let you know that I am featuring your creative barn quilts on Share Your Cup today.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the first I've heard of these. I love it! I really thought it was a fabric quilt at first. What a great way to combine two icons of country living.... barns and quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barns & quilts are 2 of my favorite things!!
      Seeing them together makes it even better!

      Delete

Please leave a comment...I ♥ hearing from you!